An Icon Of The Queensland Music And Creative Industries
Andrea has been on the frontline of the creative industries in both creative and management sectors for the past 20 years, which has seen her excel as a graphic artist, venue and band manager for some of Queensland’s most iconic venues and artists.
Andrea’s wealth of knowledge and the hands-on experience gained has allowed her to educate and mentor the current and future creative generation, helping them to shortcut their success in their own creative career.
Having started working in the music industry quite by chance, running the iconic original music venue The Orient Hotel and nurturing acts and musicians such as Powderfinger, Screamfeeder, Custard and Regurgitator – this unique experience has accentuated her repertoire to becoming the Success Strategist that every creative deserves.
Since 1996, as a creative-business educator Andrea has trained thousands of students, many who have since travelled all over the world pursuing their talents and building a successful business for themselves, all from the support and lessons from Andrea.
Graduates include well-known artists such as multiple Queensland Music award winning 8 Ball Aitken, Jen Boyce – Ball Park Music, and award-winning composer Donna Dyson, Larrikin Puppets Brett Hansen, Choreographer Claire Marshall and staff at APRA AMCOS, Splendour in the Grass, Dew Process, Secret Service, The Old Museum and more.
As a passionate creative herself, Andrea continues to pursue her own art projects which include graphic design, illustration and hand-lettering. One of the highlights of her artistic career was to have her hand-lettered flyers created for her music venues now residing in the State Library Heritage Music Collection at john Oxley Library, Southbank, Queensland.
As a Success Strategist for Creatives, Andrea has a passion for helping performing, visual and craft artists become more sustainable as a business. She manages regular mentoring sessions and events and is currently writing a book on copyright for small business.
Graduating Qld College of Art
With High Achievements in Lettering Art and Colour Theory
Started door job at The Orient Hotel
Working in box office and customer service.
Became Co-Booker of The Orient Hotel
With the famous Blind Dog Donnie and later on renowned music journalist Richard Kwong.
First Powderfinger gig
At the Orient Hotel.
Nicknamed Door Bitch from Hell
What more can I say.
Starts music management
Gig booking, tour booking and event management
First course released
Successful Band Management ran four times a year for many years and was the first formal music business course in QLD.
Graduate 8 Ball Aitken wins award
Qld Music award winning act
First book released
The self published Oriental Rock released.
Started co-producing Oriental Rock gigs
With Richard Kwong
Started co-producing Turn Up Music Sunshine Coast Music Industry Conference
Now an annual established event on the Sunshine Coast and the Queensland music calendar.
Started producing Create and Connect
Business mini masterclasses for creatives. Now rebranded as The Business of Being Creative
People Andrea has worked with
• 8Ball Aitken – Solo Artist, Award Winning Composer residing in Texas
• Jennifer Boyce – Ball Park Music
• Peta Evans Taylor – Solo Artist
• Paul Renton – Solo Artist
• Jackson Dunn – Solo Artist
• Greg Tschernez – Solo Artist
• Mariel Hopper – Solo Artist
• Jacqui Schwantes – Solo Artist
• Joe Agius – The Creases
• Jake Blatchley – White Devil Detroit
• Ty Williams – Pyromance
• Donna Dyson – Award Winning Composer
• Bird Jensen – Director Phoenix Movement Records
• Zoe Aukeela – Staffing manager, Splendour in the Grass,
• Falls Festival, Brisbane Festival
• Fergus Jenkins – Licensing Manager/A&R, Dew Process
• Harry Young – Publishing Manager, Dew Process
• Andrew Wade – Media Relations Manager, SCG Media
• Narelle Butterworth – Event Manager, APRA
• David Dean – Hostile Entertainment
• Michael David – Live Nation Touring
• Katey O’Malley Jones – Freelance Stage Manager
• Sarah Kent – Administration, Secret Service
• Darcy Boyd – Administration, The Old Museum
• Anita Martin – Director, Make Loud Noise Studio
• Claire Marshall – Internationally Renowned Choreographer
• Brett Hansen – Director, Larrikin Puppets
• Renee Barlow – Director, Scarlet Harlotte Photography
• Jeffrey Mclaughlin – Manager, Barkly Arts, NT
• Josephine Ellis – Freelance Photographer
• Osher Günsberg – Television Presenter
• Gavin Ingham – Director, Collingwood Footy Tour